Event Pictorials
 
THE QUINCY SMELTER—HELP SAVE OUR SMELTER
October 8, 2011
The Quincy Smelter located on the Ripley, MI shoreline, was built in 1898 by the Quincy Mining Company, to smelt and process copper mined from atop Quincy Hill, overlooking the City of Hancock. Franklin Township assumed ownership in 1999.
Historical early photos: CLICK HERE
Other links:
Smelter's Blog CLICK HERE
Smelter Association CLICK HERE
Reuse Assessment .pdf CLICK HERE
Smelter Blog CLICK HERE
Smelter pics CLICK HERE
NPS Smelter R & S CLICK HERE
Advertisement - Partnernership CLICK HERE
USDA Solicitation CLICK HERE
Ladybug Digital pics CLICK HERE
Smelter Assoc. Facebook CLICK HERE
CONTACT FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP SUPERVISOR GLENN EKDAHL AT:
gekdahl@charter.net ].
 
This overhead view shows the newly covered portions of the slag deposits on the east end of the property. Elevated portions will not be covered, but will have restricted access. Looking from ground level on the east end of the Quincy Smelter site. The fenced in corridor/road, is the primary motorized trail from Hancock to Lake Linden/Hubbell and points north. Another view showing some of the extensive property on the NE side. Work continues on restoring and replacing roofs on the remaining uncovered buildings, which it is hoped, will be completed before the onset of winter snows. Taken from the Mt.Ripley Ski Area, the roofs of several of the buildings now are restored, with the colors of Fall in 2011.
View from the Houghton side of the waterway. The smelter replaced one built in 1858 at the foot of Reservation Street, which was served by a tramway from the Mines. This smelter received mineral from the No. 1 and later, the No. 2 stamp mills to the east on Torch Lake via railroad. Shut down in 1931 due to economic conditions, it was reopened in 1948, and finally closed in 1972. Efforts to save the last copper smelter still in existence in the U.S., began in 2000. Some time-line information. The property reverted to Franklin Township due to delinquent taxes in 1999. Also involved in the development and rebuilding: Keweenaw National Historical Park; MI Department of Environmental Quality; Copper Country Preservation; MI State Historic Preservation Office; and the Quincy Smelter Association. Boiler Building (L); Cupola Building ( R ). Pump House (L); Crushing Plant and Briquette Plant (middle building); Limestone Building ( R ).
Reverberatory Furnace Building. No. 5 Reverberatory Furnace Building (L); Casting Plant ( R ). Mineral House seen in back. Franklin Township Supervisor Glenn Ekdahl, our tour guide. Stamp sand area on east side of property, being covered to prevent movement of material. Inside view of reclaiming efforts in the No. 5 Reverberatory Furnace Building ( to rear), and Mineral House (in fore ground).
A view inside of the Cupola Building, some stabilization has been done. Some o the machinery in the Pump House. The Maintainance/Foundary Shop, with an open hearth.
             
           
 
[Photos: Roland Burgan r-burgan@charter.net ].
 
Portage Lake Lift Bridge Info
SANTA CLAUS VISITS HANCOCK - 2014
Keweenaw Energy Summit (KREC) - 2014
ETCETERA .. Gorge Bridge gets makeover.
76 COMBINED YEARS OF SERVICE TO THE COMMUNITY HONORED.
 

HOME  |  CITY INFORMATION  |  HISTORY  |  NEWS & EVENTS  |  RECREATION  |  BUSINESS DIRECTORY  |  LINKS  |  CONTACT

 
 

Web site development: opusWeb.com